During these past weeks when demand for e-signing documents remotely has increased, those who’ve never had any eID tool before, started questioning whether there’s a possibility to get e-signature certificate now, when everything’s closed. Yes, there is!
To be able to sign documents electronically, you need to have an eID tool with an electronic signature certificate. Usually it’s a national identity card, Mobile ID or Smart-ID. But if you haven’t used your eID card or Mobile ID before, your only option today is Smart-ID app. Smart-ID is available in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.
You might be familiar with Smart-ID app if you’ve been using it for logins to you internet bank. In this case, you most probably have a Smart-ID Basic account. However, in order to be able to sign documents, you will need to upgrade you account to Smart-ID Qualified Electronic Signature account. The good news is, you can do it completely remotely! If you’re not sure what level account your Smart-ID is, you can check it by opening the app, going to Menu and clicking on User info. If you see that your level is Smart-ID Qualified Electronic Signature, then you’re good to go, you can sign documents using qualified e-signature.
If you’ve never used Smart-ID before, here’s what you need to do:
- Download a free Smart-ID app from Google Play or App Store.
- Once you’ve installed the app, open it and click on the “Register” button.
- Choose your country.
- In the following window choose an authentication method “Online bank or branch office”, choose your bank and follow the instructions. Note: you will get a notice that by registering this way, you’ll only be able to use the app for online banking; it’s ok, click “Continue anyway”.
- Once you’re finished, you’ll have a Smart-ID Basic account.
Once you’ve created a Basic account, you’ll now be able to upgrade it to Smart-ID Qualified Electronic Signature account which will allow you to create qualified electronic signature, in other words, sign documents! Here’s what you need to do next.
- Return to the app. Open Menu which is at the top left corner in the app.
- At the bottom of the menu click “Upgrade account” and follow further instructions.
- Once you see listed authentication methods, choose “Biometric identification” and once again follow further instructions.
- Congrats! You now have a tool with a qualified electronic signature certificate and can start signing documents remotely! Visit Dokobit to sign documents for free until April 30!