During these past weeks when demand for e-signing documents remotely has increased, those who’ve never had any eID tool before, started questioning whether there’s a possibility to get e-signature certificate now, when everything’s closed. Yes, there is!
To be able to sign documents electronically, you need to have an eID tool with an electronic signature certificate. Usually it’s a national identity card, Mobile ID or Smart-ID. But if you haven’t used your eID card or Mobile ID before, your only option today is Smart-ID app. Smart-ID is available in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.
You might be familiar with Smart-ID app if you’ve been using it for logins to you internet bank. In this case, you most probably have a Smart-ID Basic account. However, in order to be able to sign documents, you will need to upgrade you account to Smart-ID Qualified Electronic Signature account. The good news is, you can do it completely remotely! If you’re not sure what level account your Smart-ID is, you can check it by opening the app, going to Menu and clicking on User info. If you see that your level is Smart-ID Qualified Electronic Signature, then you’re good to go, you can sign documents using qualified e-signature.
If you’ve never used Smart-ID before, here’s what you need to do:
- Download a free Smart-ID app from Google Play or App Store.
- Once you’ve installed the app, open it and click on the “Register” button.
- Choose your country.
- In the following window choose an authentication method “Online bank or branch office”, choose your bank and follow the instructions. Note: you will get a notice that by registering this way, you’ll only be able to use the app for online banking; it’s ok, click “Continue anyway”.
- Once you’re finished, you’ll have a Smart-ID Basic account.
Once you’ve created a Basic account, you’ll now be able to upgrade it to Smart-ID Qualified Electronic Signature account which will allow you to create qualified electronic signature, in other words, sign documents! Here’s what you need to do next.
- Return to the app. Open Menu which is at the top left corner in the app.
- At the bottom of the menu click “Upgrade account” and follow further instructions.
- Once you see listed authentication methods, choose “Biometric identification” and once again follow further instructions.
- Congrats! You now have a tool with a qualified electronic signature certificate and can start signing documents remotely! Visit Dokobit to sign documents for free until April 30!
More on biometric identification can be found here, you can also follow all the steps in this video.
If you have any other questions related to creating Smart-ID account, please read Smart-ID FAQ or contact Smart-ID support directly.
This post is also available in: Lithuanian Latvian